At Berwick Chase Primary School, we aim to prepare our Prep students for a successful start to their education. We work with local kindergartens and the community to best prepare students for a seamless transition into school. In their first year, we develop routines and independence in our students in a fun and safe learning environment.
Children and parents are encouraged to participate in the transition program in order to explore the exciting programs available at our school.
School Tours: Mondays at 2:45pm and Wednesdays at 9:15am
Parent Information Night: This is held towards the end of August/early September from 6 pm to 7 pm.
Berwick Chase Transition Program: Children attend four transition sessions:
- These sessions will be held on the first four Wednesdays of Term 4 from 2:30pm-3:15pm in the school Gym (9th, 16th, 23rd & 30th of October 2019).
During these times children will have the opportunity to participate in various activities such as library, sport and art. We believe that it is in the best interest of your child to attend all these days.
- Transition groups are NOT grades for 2020
- Parents are required to remain at school in the Gym during these sessions.
Orientation Day: Will be Wednesday the 11th of December 2019.
- This session will be 2:30pm-3:15pm in the Gym
- This is where children will find out their teacher, class and room location for 2020.
On this day you will also be provided with information on:
– The Home School Partnership – Uniform
– How you can assist your child at school – Attendance
– School expectations – Before and After School Care
– Other topics aimed at ensuring that your child and family make a comfortable and happy entry into our school.
Effective communication is an important element of school life at Berwick Chase Primary School. These afternoons provide an excellent forum for asking questions and raising issues relating to your child’s entry into Prep.
The Victorian Curriculum is used to inform the teaching and learning of the Prep students at Berwick Chase Primary School.
Prep students focus on:
In Term 1, the focus is the smooth transition from their Kinder/Childcare setting, participating in play-based activities and developing their Social Skills.
We make links with their writing through language experiences.
- Shared reading
- Guided reading
- Book responses
- Hands on Literacy activities
- Introduction to sight words
- Introduction to reading strategies
- Developing their fine motor skills
- Sounds of the week, linked to the Jolly Phonics Program
- At the beginning of the year we start the writing process with drawing and labelling
- As a class we develop our Word Wall, which is used throughout the year during writing sessions.
- Students are given opportunities to look at, discuss and use a variety of Text types
- Students participate in Writer’s Workshop
Little Learners Love Literacy:
Milo’s Birthday Surprise introduces children to letters and sounds, providing a simple, fun and engaging approach. The Little Learners Love Literacy Program is developed from evidenced-based literacy research that emphasises the importance of explicit teaching, along with a focus on:
- Phonemic awareness
Little Learners Love Literacy also includes the teaching of handwriting skills as an integral part of literacy learning.
During the year, there is a strong focus on number.
Students participate in hands-on activities and explore concepts of number, measurement, location and collecting data
In Prep, students will participate in the following Specialist Programs
- Performing Arts
- Visual Arts
- Physical Education
We have many fun events that students get to participate in:
- Multicultural Day – Dress up in multicultural colours/clothes.
- Mother’s and Father’s Day – Where we invite parents and family members in to participate in activities.
- 100 Days of Prep – We are involved in activities all about the number 100. Students dress up and have a celebration.
- Footy Dress up Day
- Pyjama Day
- Book Character Day – Students dress up as their favourite book character. We have a parade in the gym.
- Superhero Day
- Athletics Day
- End of year concert
We look forward to speaking with you to discuss our teaching and learning in Prep further.