At Berwick Chase Primary School, we aim to prepare our Prep students for a successful start to their education. We work with local kindergartens and the community to best prepare students for a seamless transition into school. In their first year, we develop routines and independence in our students in a fun and safe learning environment.
Children and parents are encouraged to participate in the transition program in order to explore the exciting programs available at our school.
School Tours: Mondays at 2:45pm and Wednesdays at 9:15am
Parent Information Night: This is held towards the end of August/early September from 6 pm to 7 pm. The date will be confirmed for 2018 closer to the time.
Transition Sessions 1, 2, 3, 4: These sessions are held one week apart on Wednesdays in October from 2:30- 3:15pm
During these times children will have the opportunity to participate in various activities such as library, sport and art. We believe that it is in the best interest of your child to attend all these days. The adult who brings your child to these days must remain at the school during the sessions.
Orientation Day: This is held early in December (date for 2018 to be determined) from 2:30 pm – 3:15 pm
On this day you will be provided with information on:
– The Home School Partnership – Uniform
– How you can assist your child at school – Attendance
– School expectations – Before and After School Care
– Other topics aimed at ensuring that your child and family make a comfortable and happy entry into our school.
Effective communication is an important element of school life at Berwick Chase Primary School. These afternoons provide an excellent forum for asking questions and raising issues relating to your child’s entry into Prep.
The Victorian Curriculum is used to inform the teaching and learning of the Prep students at Berwick Chase Primary School.
Prep students focus on:
In Term 1, the focus is the smooth transition from their Kinder/Childcare setting, participating in play-based activities and developing their Social Skills.
We make links with their writing through language experiences.
- Shared reading
- Guided reading
- Book responses
- Hands on Literacy activities
- Introduction to sight words
- Introduction to reading strategies
- Developing their fine motor skills
- Sounds of the week, linked to the Jolly Phonics Program
- At the beginning of the year we start the writing process with drawing and labelling
- As a class we develop our Word Wall, which is used throughout the year during writing sessions.
- Students are given opportunities to look at, discuss and use a variety of Text types
- Students participate in Writer’s Workshop
Preps participate in Jolly Phonics each day. This is a fun and child centered approach to teaching literacy through phonics. With actions for each of the 42 letter sounds, the multi-sensory method is very motivating for children and teachers, who can see their students achieve. We play the song each morning and this helps to settle the students into the classroom ready to begin the day.
During the year, there is a strong focus on number.
Students participate in hands-on activities and explore concepts of number, measurement, location and collecting data
In Prep, students will participate in the following Specialist Programs
- Performing Arts
- Visual Arts
- Physical Education
We have many fun events that students get to participate in:
- Multicultural Day – Dress up in multicultural colours/clothes.
- Mother’s and Father’s Day – Where we invite parents and family members in to participate in activities.
- 100 Days of Prep – We are involved in activities all about the number 100. Students dress up and have a celebration.
- Footy Dress up Day
- Pyjama Day
- Book Character Day – Students dress up as their favourite book character. We have a parade in the gym.
- Superhero Day
- Athletics Day
- End of year concert
We look forward to speaking with you to discuss our teaching and learning in Prep further.